When I first saw the title of this recipe, I knew I had to try it. Two things I really love is peanut butter and lentils. What's not to like about peanut butter? Then there are lentils. Full of nutrients and fiber that give a full, satisfying feeling. With the two combined, I knew it would be good. This recipe has many spices that are added near the beginning of the recipe. I have learned that keeping adding spices to onions and garlic at the beginning helps those flavors stay present in the recipe. Serve over rice and garnish with green onions and limes. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter and Lentil Curry
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, and set aside for at least 10 min.
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 pungent, yellow onion
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 - 1 tsp each: cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- green onions, for garnish
- lime wedges, for garnish
- brown rice, for serving
- Mince garlic and put aside.
- Rinse lentils under water. In a large pot, bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Add lentils and reduce heat. Cover and cook until done, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped yellow onion, minced garlic, and ginger. Allow to soften for 3-5 minutes. Next add salt and spices: cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Once lentils are done, drain and add to onion/spice mixture. Stir to combine. Add tomato paste, and bell pepper. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Begin to cook rice according to directions.
- Once lentil mixture is heated through, add peanut butter and broth. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes. Add cilantro and stir to combine.
- Serve with rice and garnishes.