I was hooked on this dish the first time I tried it. The surprising flavors danced in my mouth and kept me coming back for more. This isn't one for those who avoid spice because this is a very spicy dish. Consider using Bragg Liquid Aminos instead of the sauce if you like. You can find mirin and gochujang at your local Asian market and worth the trip. In a pinch, I've used Sriracha sauce, but it's not vegan. If you are not a vegan, consider frying an egg to place on top of this rice dish!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 TBSP Tamari
- 2 tsp mirin
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut julienned
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh bean spouts
- 1/2 cup cucumber strips, cut julienned
- sesame oil
- 2 TBSP gochujang
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp Tamari
- 1 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- In a skillet on medium heat, add 1/4 tsp sesame oil. Add mushrooms, Tamari and mirin. Cook until mushrooms have wilted and absorbed seasonings.
- Remove mushrooms from skillet into a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add 1/4 tsp sesame oil. Add carrot strips with salt and cook for 30 seconds. Immediately remove and place in a separate bowl.
- Repeat cooking process with the bean sprouts and spinach.
- Prepare sauce by adding all ingredients together and mixing well.
- To serve, place a mound of warm rice in the bottom of a bowl or themiddle of a plate. Arrange prepared mushrooms, carrots, spinach and spouts, and cucumber.
- Drizzle sauce over top.
- Mix it all up and enjoy!