Quinoa is an ancient grain that is high in fiber and protein. A perfect grain for the vegetarian and the carnivore alike. This dish is a snap to make during a busy work week. For those who are wanting to create a healthier lifestyle and lose weight, choosing foods high is plant proteins is a great way to start. Foods high in fiber (plants) move through the digestive tract in a more timely manner than animal protein. This efficiently in the digestive system will help keep the body disease free. This dish is both flavorful and hearty. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine.
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
1 cup corn
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lime, juiced
Salt and pepper
2 cups enchilada sauce
2/3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Green onions, sliced
Ripe avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To a mixing bowl, add the cooked quinoa, black beans, corn, and onions.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the cumin, garlic, oil and lime juice. Pour over the quinoa and toss everything to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the mixture into the bottom of a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Pour the enchilada sauce over the quinoa then sprinkle everything with cheese.
- Make six small indentations in the top of the cheese for the eggs. Crack the eggs over the cheese, evenly spacing them out. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Bake the skillet in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, until the egg whites are completely set, but the yolks are still runny and the edges of the skillet are bubbly.
Serve promptly with fresh cilantro, green onions, and avocado slices on top, and hot sauce on the side.