Here is a different twist on a summer salad that's not heavy in mayo and sugar. This recipe is from the Moosewood Restaurant, which is known to use fresh, local products in the town in which they reside, Ithaca, New York. The dressing in this particular salad is light with a nice mix of both sweet and tangy flavors. Colorful and fresh, it's sure to be a hit. This slaw is excellent beside a main dish that is rich and cheesy or paired with something spicy.
Confetti Kale Slaw
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large firm apple, shredded (about 1-2 cups)
- 1 cup shredded green or red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 3 cups shredded kale, packed
- To make the dressing: whisk together the orange and lemon juice, vinegar, olive, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Prepare the apple and vegetables and place them in the bowl as you go: peel or don't peel the apple but shred it with a large-holed hand grater. To prevent the apples from during brown, toss them well with the dressing. Thinly slice the cabbage and then cut across the slices about every inch. Peel the carrots and shred on the large-holed side of the hand grater. Mince the celery. Mince the scallions.
- To shred the kale: rinse the kale leaves and shake off excess water. Strip the leaves from the large stems and pile on a chopping board. Gather the kale into a compact mass and thinly slice it. Then cut down across the slices, chopping the kale into 1- to 2- inches. Add the shredded kale to the bowl and toss well.
- Delicious served right away, but the sweetness intensifies as it sits. This slaw will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.