While both lentils and chickpeas are a good source of protein, the sweet potatoes provide a soft texture and flavor. Kale provides fiber, iron, calcium, and Vitamin C. The use of an immersion blender provide creaminess without the use of dairy. Serve with a salad or sandwich for a complete meal.
Lentil, Sweet Potato, and Kale Soup
- 1 container (32 ounce) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup kale, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- In a medium saucepan, pour in the container of vegetable broth; cook on medium.
- Add lentils, sweet potatoes, and onions and cook until potatoes are soft.
- Add chickpeas and bring to a boil.
- Using an immersion blender, pulse 5-6 times or until half the soup is blended. If you don't have an immersion blender, pour half the soup into an electric blender and pulse until smooth. Pour contents back into pot.
- Add kale and cook an additional 15 minutes or until kale is tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour into bowls and enjoy!