This recipe is adapted from Cooking Light. It's basically a one-pot meal. Using a dutch oven, I cook the pasta first, drain and set it aside. While the water is boiling and pasta is cooking, I prep the vegetables. Ready to serve in 30 minutes, this a family favorite that is low in fat and overall calories. The original recipe calls for mozzarella cheese, but I substituted fresh Parmesan cheese to keep things lighter.
- 1 pound pasta of your choice (I have used penne, rigatoni, spirals)
- olive oil
- 5 1/2 cups diced, peeled eggplant
- 6 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 medium or 1 large zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can (28-ounce) can organic crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to the directions in large dutch oven.
- While pasta cooks, prep vegetables for use.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In same pot, add 2 TBSP olive oil.
- Add eggplant to pan and sauté 3 minutes over medium/high heat.
- Add garlic and onion, zucchini, cook additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil and next three ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- Transfer to serving dish.
- Add additional 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
Yields: 10 servings